Monday, April 26, 2010

Week 13-A Tutorial!

I am venturing into new territory here. I am going to post my first tutorial. So, bear with me and let's hope I get it right.


This week we are making a card holder. My wallet was becoming George Costanza-like (for all you Seinfeld fans) and I needed to pare it down. I took out all those cards you get for buying 10 books, the 11th is free and what not. It made a huge difference. But what to do with the cards? You never know when you might want to buy a paperback, and where is that darn punch card? (Now let's be real...where I live, I conveniently shop at mostly 1 place. So, it's not like I wouldn't be back at the same store the next day with said punch card that I left at home. But anyway....this is a handy dandy thing to have on hand!) So, here goes....
  • You will need 2 pieces of material for the outside and inside, but cut to 4.5" x 6.5".
  • You will also need interfacing cut to the same dimensions. I use what I have on hand (great stash buster project), but if you are buying interfacing, go with the heavier stuff. Not the fluffy stuff, which is what I had for this particular one.
  • You will also need 2 pieces of material cut to 4.5" x 4.5" for the pockets.
  • And, of course, thread, iron, sewing machine.


In my typical fashion, I eyeball a lot. A LOT! So, for seam allowances, when I sewed the pockets on, I sewed very close to the edge. When I sewed the inside/outside pieces together, I sewed a little further from the edge. That's as good as a seam allowance guesstimate your gonna get here!

Step 1:
Iron the pocket pieces in half and iron the interfacing onto the wrong side of one of the inside/outside pieces (polka dots in the pictures).

Step 2:
Sew the pockets on to the polka dot piece you just lined. Sew the pockets at the end of each short side with the folded edge facing the middle.


Step 3:
With wrong sides together, sew the other inside/outside piece to the one with the pockets. The pockets will be inside. I think it's easiest to start sewing on the long side, right where the pocket starts. Sew around and stop at the top of the other pocket, this leaves an opening to turn the wallet right side out. Clip the corners so that it will lay better.


Step 4:
Turn wallet right side out and iron flat. You will want to iron the opening edges in; it makes the next step easier.

Step 5:
Topstitch around the entire thing.

Step 6:
Fold it in half and give another once over with the iron.

Easy peasy lemon squeasy! Honestly, I think it took me all of 20 minutes to do and a great way to use those odd pieces of your favorite material!

And since this is my first tutorial, if I have left anything out, please let me know.

1 comment:

ninaGD said...

Great job! Thanks for the tutorial!